Marriage License and Weddings

Marriage License Overview

Things To Know

  • Out-of-state visitors planning to marry in Brown County must apply for their license in the Brown County Clerk’s Office.
  • For Indiana residents, the marriage license must be obtained in the county in which one of the applicants reside; the ceremony can take place anywhere in Indiana.
  • The Brown County Clerk's Office requires applicants to complete the online portion of the marriage license application at the marriage license e-file PRIOR to walking in to complete the process. 
  • Both parties must be present and have state issued IDs (with current, physical address) to complete the process in person at the clerk's office.
  • The cost for a marriage license is:
    • Brown County Residents: $25
    • Out of State Residents: $65
  • A marriage license is valid for 60 days. You must get married before the end of those 60 days. If you don’t, the license will be voided. You can apply for a new license, but you must complete the application process and pay the filing fee again.
  • We ask that you be in our office no later than 3:00 PM to complete the application process.

Get Copies of a Marriage License

  • Request a copy via phone, call 812-988-5510. Please have both parties' names available along with the date of the marriage.
  • Request a copy in person, visit our office at 20 E. Main St. Nashville, IN 47448. Office hours are Monday through Friday 8 AM - 4 PM. Please arrive between 8 AM and 3 PM to allow us time to locate the requested records for same day service.
  • If you received your license or divorce in a different county, then you must contact that respective County Clerk's Office to obtain copies.
  • Look up your marriage record online by visiting the Indiana State Libraries Marriage Index website.


The Brown County Clerk's Office is NOT able to perform weddings at this time. If you have questions, please contact our office at (812) 988-5510.